Tuesday, December 29, 2009

An Eternity Between Us


Rather, just a large void. Through my three years or so of traveling internationally I have noticed quite a few differences between our American culture and some others. I have to outline first that by culture I speak of the way a labelled group of peoples in a geographic area act. Rich or poor, wise or dumb, pretty or ugly, it does not matter some things do not change between the peoples. Perhaps it is that I do not notice my culture as much as I would have if I had never started traveling. It's true enough that we see our way as normal and are most comfortable there. Some of us adapt to other acts by other cultures mostly by ignoring it. I simply do not care what it is they do. For instance, homophobic persons would find the way average males from Indian, Bangladesh, Mayalsia, or Pakistan act towards each other if they are friends. They seem to have no concept of personal space or privacy. What you find is that friends, or so I am believe them to be, hug and hold hands. They are very physical in their interaction between each other. I have asked an Indian who spoke English well why is it so much physical interaction takes place between him and others. He said simply it is the way they are raised. I could not get clarification on this. The look on his face when I told him of the concept of personal space spoke of a totally alien concept. Obviously he had never heard of such a heretical idea. Why? I do not know. It seems as though it is a mostly American idea, and I suppose there it will stay. I suspect as well it has to do a lot with our family structure in the States. In many other places on the planet, like those I have spoke of, the extended family lives together or in very close proxcimity. I think would hamper any development of privacy or personal space because there simply would not be any. Someone always barging in when you are trying to get some private time would be very annoying if you had the idea in the first place.

It is still odd to me sometimes the way other peoples act. Especially those from third world countries. Now, I'm in form a vegan. On the other hand, I don't get on the back of a sheep, smile for a picture with it, then proceed to cut it's head off while it's still alive. And although I did not see thr event take place, I saw the pictures of said events. That just doesn't strike me as a good time. Apparetly some do find this as a form of entertainment.

There's a few other things like English. Plenty of us who have listened or talked to someone from the U.K., especially the first time, would have more than once been preplexed as to what in the bloody Hell they are saying. I know I have. More so when I speak with someone who speaks Jordan (sp?). Totally lost sums that up.

If you do not believe me, spend some time with people from other countries.

The Fantastic G has spoken!

No comments:

Post a Comment