Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Current State of Publishing

From an outsiders prospective.

I consider myself an ameture writer. I have no formal training in the art of story writting beyond what a public education in English in Lousiana could provide. Although I took it upon myself to learn more than what was planned for us by reading far into the old ragged textbooks provided, I still think I am far from a graceful writer. I hardly like my own style of writing that developed naturally. I have to admit my wife can indeed write better than I can... when she knows the subject to write about. I suppose that is what seperates me from apart from her. Not that I am a better writer, but the mere fact that I can write. That I don't sit and stare at a blank screen or piece of paper. If there is a canvas I will create something with it. Either with pen or pencil, or simply building it into a paper glider. She is an terrific editor. I think that we would make a team unriveled in the literary world.

I have to say though, I would love to publish my stories. However, I would not be able to make a stable living at it. Just as musicians in modern times have to contend with technology, writers must walk a fine line. Because without embracing technology you will be left behind. Record Labels who have not converted into a Digital Label have felt steep declines in profit. While, Apple for instance, has done nothing but produce quarter after quarter of financially positive results. This is why I take my time writting.

Writers hardly make money. Fewer writers still make enough money to live off of. I do not plan to ever make money off my writtings. At least, not enough to give it significance. It is something I treat as an outlet for my creative forces to manipulate into art. I intend to keep that as it's main focus until I stop. Which won't be anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment